Questions and Answers
Here we will try to answer all questions about learning English via Skype, studying at our school and internships in the UK. If you do not find the answer to your question, please contact our administration using the form at the bottom of the page.
- What qualification do your teachers have?
Our teachers have many years of experience:
• successful English language teaching to both kids and older audience;
• successful preparation for school final examinations, IELTS, TOEFL, FCE, CAE, CPE, and entrance examinations to universities;
• inventing unique materials for lessons;
• effective preparation of gifted students for participation in Olympiads and different competitions in the English language, including international (FLEX, etc.)
SYE teachers are constantly improving their skills and knowledge: internships in the USA and the UK, taking part in the American program for teachers 'Teaching Excellence and Achievements', prizes in a popular Ukrainian competition for teachers 'Teacher of the year'.
Our teachers know how to teach English! They are excellent psychologists and are able to find individual approach to each student.
- How to choose the right tutor?
We will find the teacher that is right for you, regarding on your goals and preferences. However, you can make your own choice. On our website you can find portfolio of all our teachers. Check out their presentations, listen to the pronunciation. If the schedule of the teacher coincides with yours, you can soon take a free trial lesson. At this lesson you will get acquainted with the teacher, learn about your level of English, tell them about your goals and wishes, and also receive answers to your questions.
- Are the classes with a native speaking teacher available?
- This is not an option for students who have Beginner or Elementary level of English, as native speakers do not speak your language. We recommend you to start such classes at the Intermediate level. You can catch up with this level with a Russian or Ukrainian speaking teacher of our school, and then add lessons with a native speaker or go on studying with the native speaking teacher. Lessons with them are a great tool to overcome the language barrier! You immerse yourself in the language environment, significantly expand relevant vocabulary, get acquainted with the culture and mentality of people from English-speaking countries.
- What if the teacher does not suit me?
- Fortunately, this happens seldom. However, you can change your teacher after the trial lesson or at any stage of training. Simply inform school administration about your intention.
- What if I'm late for a lesson or want to cancel it?
Contact your teacher or administration as soon as possible and report about the problem. If possible, the teacher will wait for you. It is also possible to reschedule the lesson for later time or another day.
- I have no fixed schedule. Can I have lessons at different time?
- Of course, you can work at any time convenient for you. Inform the teacher and arrange a schedule for the following week beforehand.
- What is a trial lesson?
- Each student has the right for a free trial lesson with the teacher. A trial lesson lasts 20-30 minutes. Part of the lesson is conducted in English, so that the teacher is able to determine your level of knowledge. You get acquainted with your teacher, discuss your goals and wishes in the studying process, agree on the schedule, set the date and time of the first class. During the trial lesson the teacher will speak about methodology and answer your questions.
- How long can I skip classes?
- Your progress depends on the frequency and duration of sessions, number of missed classes, amount of homework, intensity and productivity during lessons. Therefore, we highly recommend you to postpone missed lessons for another time. Discuss your schedule with your teacher.
- Can I get a certificate?
- Yes, our school is a partner of Frisby's College. If you study on the course 'British course + certificate', you will take an exam and receive a certificate of Frisby's College.
- Do you have a lot of experience in organizing internships and training in the UK?
Since 2002, the teachers of our school have organized study tours and internships in the UK. During this time 479 students of all ages traveled and studied in the UK. Training in the UK is a wonderful, useful and eventful journey!
- What programs can I choose?
Today we offer several programs to choose from:
- Group or individual;
- In different towns (Ramsgate, York, Edinburgh);
- 2 weeks and more duration;
- Accommodation with a host family or school residence;
- Various price categories (from 1,250);
- For students of different ages (from 10 to 60 years old).
- What is included in the trip?
As a rule, an internship program includes:
• stay in London and a fascinating tour;
• accommodation including full Board;
• training at a British school (20 lessons of English per week, testing, academic material, certificate);
• leisure activities after school: going to the cinema, swimming pool, museums, cathedrals;
• sightseeing in Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, Dover, Norwich and other UK cities.
- Who will I study at a British school with?
- On the first day at school you will take a test to determine the level of the English language knowledge. According to the test results you will be placed in a group where you will study with other students from different countries of the same age and level.
Will I be able to obtain a certificate of education in Great Britain?
- Yes. All students receive a certificate which states that you have studied at this school, with duration, number of lessons, your level and program.
- What shall I do if problems with the connection arise during the class?
- If problems with the Internet connection start from the beginning of the lesson, you can postpone it to another time. If the connection is lost during the lesson, you add more time to the duration of the next lesson. In case there is a failure of Skype, the teacher can give the lesson through other free programs: Firefox Hello, Google Hangouts, ooVoo.
- I have no headphones and microphone. Is it possible to do without them?
- You can do without a headset if it is comfortable for you and the teacher. But in this case extraneous noise can affect the sound quality. However, we ask our teachers to use the headphones and microphone during the lessons.
- Is it possible to do without the webcam?
- We insist on the use of the webcam during classes. The only reason for the lack of video can be the deterioration of the Internet connection. However, if that is your wish, we do not mind.
- Is it possible use a smartphone or tablet for online lessons?
- During the lesson you will use various materials: electronic textbooks by British publishers (Word or PDF files), different lesson plans developed by your teacher, games, dialogues, books to read, online exercises, etc. It will be uncomfortable to work with them using mobile devices. In addition, the teacher will write the words and phrases in the chat. Therefore, we recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for online classes.
- Can I pay per lesson?
- It is possible pay for each lesson separately, but this must be done in advance, as payment must be received before the start of the upcoming lesson.
- Can I get a discount?
- If you pay for several sessions in advance you get a discount: 5 lessons — 3% discount; 10 lessons — 5% discount; 20 lessons — 10% discount.
- If I cancel a lesson, is there any payment?
- No, payment is automatically transferred to the next class, but on the condition that you have warned about the cancellation of the lesson the teacher or the manager at any time prior to its commencement. If there was not any agreement on cancellation or postponement of a lesson, the teacher is waiting for you in Skype during 15 minutes. If you do not appear and the administration is unable to contact you, the lesson is considered as conducted. We have to pay for this lesson to the teacher. In this case, you are charged.
- I have some paid classes, but I can't continue studying for some reason. Will you refund?
- Of course, if we receive a request, we will refund payment for classes that were not held in the shortest possible time. In case of refund the tuition discount does not apply.
- What is the difference between online lessons from class lessons with a teacher?
- In fact, online lessons are not different from lessons with a teacher: you can see and hear your teacher. However, online lessons have several advantages. You don't need to spend time on traveling for lessons with an experienced teacher. You study in a comfortable atmosphere at home, work, hotel or any other place. There is no need to cancel classes because of your busy schedule, you can postpone them to another time convenient for you. You don't need to buy textbooks, you get all necessary files and references from your teacher. Gaining knowledge via Skype is a modern approach to quality education!
- At what age can I start learning English via Skype?
- Lessons via Skype is a great way to learn a language for any age and occupation. At our school the lessons are conducted for students from 10 years old. For younger children, we recommend to start learning English in groups, because learning with peers will help motivate and arouse interest in the subject. Our students are school children, University students, and professionals working in various fields. English is necessary for everyone in modern society!
- How long do I need to study to improve my level?
- It is hard enough to determine the duration of training accurately, as it depends on the motivation and learning objectives, frequency and duration of sessions, number of missed classes, amount of homework, intensity and productivity at lessons, and personal abilities of the student. It is believed that, on average, one level takes 6 – 9 months, but this process may take up to a year. Each student has an individual rate of progress, so don't worry if it takes you long to study the program. If necessary, your teacher will adjust the program and will help you change the approach to learning.
- What methodology do you use?
- Communicative approach is actively keeping the first line in the popularity rating methods of studying the English language today. It focuses on the practice of communication, after all, the main objective of the training is the ability to interact in an English speaking society. Using the communicative method in the classroom, our teachers will help you remove the fear of communication. You will begin to speak English from the first lesson, even if your level is low.
- How is an online lesson conducted?
- Before a lesson starts, the teacher writes to you in the Skype chat to know if you are ready to begin. Then the teacher makes a call Skype. During the lesson you work with the materials that the teacher has sent to you. On the screen you can see a page of the book and you answer questions, participate in a dialogue, and the teacher corrects you. The same pattern as during a class lesson. Skype chat is your class Board. The teacher may ask you to use the Skype 'screen sharing' to see what you are typing at the moment. It's easy, the teacher will teach you all the technical intricacies!
- Do I need to buy any textbooks?
- Buying textbooks is not necessary. Before the class, the teacher will send you necessary files that will be used at your lesson. These are books or files (Word or PDF), different lesson plans invented by your teacher, games, dialogues, books to read, etc., depending on your individual program.
How will the teacher check my homework?
- You choose how to send homework: on e-mail, via Skype, in your shared folder on Google Disk or any other cloud service. Before the beginning of the next lesson, the student sends homework to his teacher. The teacher corrects mistakes or merely highlights the problematic aspects of the homework assignment to be able to discuss and correct them together with the student at the beginning of the next class.